05 August 2011

Salvador Dali Underhammers?




As one who considers himself an artistic sort, I really appreciate others who can skillfully color outside of the lines, too. Robert Worthington is just such an artist. When he discovered the joys of making underhammers he jumped in with both feet and never looked back!

Bob has agreed to share some of his underhammer work with us through the following photos. You will instantly recognize his flare for uniqueness in design.

Clicking on the photos below will provide a closer look at Bob's work. Clicking the Back arrow will return you to the text.

Here's Bob's story:

I've been shooting and building muzzle loaders for a while, and started making underhammer pistols about 5 years ago. I had put together a kit for my son a few years before, and was intrigued by the simplicity and speed of ignition. There were some aspects of that particular piece I didn't like, however, and when I came across the Billinghurst action offered by Muzzle Loader Builder's Supply, www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com (as seen below with my improvements) I decided to try one myself. 




Using the hammer, trigger, trigger bar, and mainspring, I fabricated my own breech collar and turned it into a pistol using a standard threaded breech plug. I've made a bunch of these now, from .32 to .50, with barrels from 8" to 12", and have also made a .40 schuetzen rifle with an Ed Rayl barrel using this action. 




I'm now working on another schuetzen, using the Allan Foundry action; a .36 with a 38" Isaac Haines-style barrel from Green Mountain. This is my personal rifle, with a fixed palm rest to accomodate my messed up shoulder, and cheek piece on both sides so I can shoot when my right eye gives me trouble. 



I call the rifle, "Salvador Dali gets a day job as a gunmaker," or "Flash Gordon enters the 19th century."  I'm also working on a "target model" pistol, with adjustable sights and trigger. 


 
 One of Bob's underhammer pistols.


Yeah, I shoot 'em all, including cartridges, but the underhammer is the real deal! 

~ Bob Worthington

Bob also does an expert job of inlaying silver wire, mother of pearl and other semi-precious materials as part of the embellishment of his work. More photos of Bob's work can be seen at www.greyhavenarms.com.

I must also compliment Bob for choosing to utilize a half-cock safety notch when setting up the hammer and
trigger of his firearms.
.
Thanks, Bob, for giving us a glimpse into your world.
Keep up the great work.

All photos copyrighted by Robert Worthington


If you have an underhammer project or story that you would like to share with us, please feel free to contact me at: underhammers@safe-mail.net and we can discuss it.

Cheers!

Roger

.

No comments:

Please Support our Sponsors

This site is provided to you free of charge by our sponsors. If you find value in our efforts, please take a moment to visit their sites listed below and consider their products and services before buying somewhere else.

If you are interested in advertising your muzzleloading services or products on The Underhammer Society blog site, please call 775-453-9355 for more information.

Thank you for your interest and support.

The Underhammer Society
.

The Gun Works

Rice Barrel Company

Black Widow Bullets

Faeton - The Thinking Man's Rifle

Faeton - The Thinking Man's Rifle
Click the image for more information about RJ Renner rifles

Thanks for visiting!

Copyright 2007 - 2016 by R.J.Renner .

About Me

Roger Renner


Hi. I've been a student, admirer, and designer/builder of underhammer guns for over 30 years. In that span I've built over 200 semi-custom underhammers exploring the possibilities from the ordinary to the exotic. In 1996 I founded Pacific Rifle Company to explore the market's interest in a high-quality underhammer rifle. Thankfully, that interest was, and still is, there. I sold PRC in 2006 but continue to craft high-end underhammers as I am truly afflicted with underhammeritis - which can be contagious!